Keyboard and Mouse not working in console
Sometimes you may experience a problem where keyboard and mouse are not working in VMware console, iLO, IMM or AMM. I experienced this problem once where my keyboard and mouse were not working in iLO console. I was unable to RDP to the server so iLO console was the only way to troubleshoot. We tried many ways, even called HP support to check if there was any problem with Base Board, but that doesn’t help.
When we tried mounting an ISO, both the keyboard and mouse were working. So, the problem was with Operating System.
Here is the solution we tried and could resolve the issue:
- Copy the file i8042prt.sys from a good server.
- Make an ISO using any software like Ffolder2ISO, ISO Magic etc.
- Boot with a Windows ISO (or you can use a live Linux ISO like Ubuntu).
- Mount the ISO with i8042prt.sys.
- Copy / Replace the file to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
Now reboot the server and check if the problem is resolved.
You can also use the following method to replace the file.
- Boot to windows ISO and select repair mode.
- Enter the admin password when prompted.
- Now you are in command mode. Navigate to R:\I386\ and copy i8042prt.sy_ file to C:\Windows\System32\drivers.
- Use the following command to expand
expand I8042PRT.SY_ I8042PRT.SYS